By giving you precise control of lights, fans, and appliances — and by allowing appliances on the same network to share data communications — the TDA5051A delivers major energy savings that homeowners and businesses will appreciate. The device takes advantage of lower utility pricing during off-peak hours by turning off lights automatically, without user intervention. It even configures appliances to track their own operating data for easy monitoring of energy usage. With the TDA5051A, you can go green, save money, and make energy management easier than ever.
The TDA5051A offers total control of a building's unique energy ecosystem, delivering error correction, redundancy, and data-framing protocol capabilities via power-line communication. Error correction and redundancy improve modem performance in a noisy power-line environment, while the data-framing protocol transmits and receives exclusively around the zero crossing of the AC power-line signal. And with advanced AGC input capabilities, the TDA5051A improves noise performance and adjusts signal levels for maximum accuracy.
With the TDA5051A, you can use any home or building's existing wiring to create a control network — and achieve no-hassle compliance. There's no need for extensive renovations or new wires, and no special hardware or software to install. Housed in an SO16 plastic package, the modem requires just a few external components for full operation: a low-cost mains coupling network, a 5V power supply, a microcontroller, and a standard quartz crystal. For added simplicity, the reference oscillator can be provided by the microcontroller.
Cost-effective. High-performance. And under your control.
The TDA5051A transmits and receives digital signals on standard power lines or any two-wire AC or DC network. It's a high-performance, intelligently automated solution that:
- Transmits at a rate of 600 to 1200 baud
- Operates from a +5V DC supply
- Enables easy connections to standard microcontrollers, including NXP's LPC11xx series of low-power ARM-based microcontrollers
With the TDA5051A, you can help ensure the accuracy of the transmission carrier and the exact trimming of the digital filter, thus making performance independent of application disturbances such as component spread, temperature, and supply drift. Setup is simple:
- Set the carrier frequency by an input reference clock, the on-chip oscillator, or the microcontroller.
- Control the transmission and reception stages either by an external reference clock or by the on-chip reference oscillator connected to a crystal.
The TDA5051A includes a power output stage that provides a 120 dBuV (RMS) signal on a typical 30 ohm load. To reduce power consumption, the IC is disabled by a power-down (PD) input pin. In this mode, the on-chip oscillator remains active and the clock continues to be supplied at the CLK_OUT pin. For low-power operation in reception mode, this pin can be dynamically controlled by the microcontroller.
- The IC is designed for worldwide use and complies with industry-standard regulations. It is compliant with US Federal Communication Commission (FCC), Industry Canada, Japan MPT, and European CENELEC EN500065-1 regulations for signaling in the 125 to 140 kHz and 95 to 125 kHz frequency bands.
- The DAC and the power stage are set in order to provide a maximum of 122 dBuV (RMS) at the output.
- In reception mode, the input signal received by the modem is applied to a wide-range input amplifier with AGC (-6 to +30 dB).
- NXP has developed a special ASK protocol to use directly with the Cortex-M0 microcontroller LPC1114 or similar processor. The modem can also be ported to a different processor.
- The TDA5051A modem and the LPC1114 microcontroller are configured for a lighting-control application. NXP makes this configuration available in an evaluation/demonstration kit.
MODEM ICspecifically dedicated to ASK transmission and reception by means of the home power supply.
ASK Powerline modemOperating at up to 1200 bps. Easy to implement and requires little bandwidth.
AGC inputImproved noise performance and adjustment of signal level.
Watch our WebinarsWatch our webinar about how the TDA5051A delivers a simple, cost-effective, power-line communicated solution for building and power system-monitoring and Control.
SO16 Plastic PackageA simple, low-cost solution that is easy to assemble.